For most of us who have Xfinity internet from Comcast, the cost of internet can be reduced by making two very simple changes.
If you’re the type of subscriber who only pays for internet and uses streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and other applications to watch TV, congratulations, you’re already saving a bunch!
If you are using both cable and internet, then you can still save by doing these two simple changes:
- Save $10 a month by purchasing your own modem/router
- Save $5 a month by enrolling in paperless billing and automatic deductions
Number 2 is easier than the first so let’s discuss in detail what you need to have the $10 a month modem rental fee.
What you’ll need:
- Your Xfinity login credentials
- The new modem with wall plug and CAT5 network cable
How to install your new Modem+Wireless Router
- Ensure you have your Xfinity login credentials. If you don’t that’s fine, you will need at least your phone number to receive an authentication code for the next step. You will need your login credentials to enroll in paperless billing and automatic deduction so it is recommended that you have it on hand anyway.
- Unplug your existing modem from the A.C. (wall) and the coax cable from the back of the modem.
- Plug in your new modem both your A.C. and coax cable and use your CAT5 cable to connect to a laptop.
- Once your new modem is connected to the wall, the coax cable, and your laptop, open a browser on your laptop
- and go to this address: https://register.be.xfinity.com/activate You will see a box like this:
Click Get Started and you’ll need your mobile number or username and password. Once your modem register (approximately 15 minutes), you’ll be ready to use your new modem and return the old one and start saving $10 a month or $120 a year!
Now Sign up to Paperless Billing and Automatic Billing
- Go here: https://login.xfinity.com/login and log into your account.
- Click on Paperless Billing and sign up, then click on Automatic Payments. You can add a bank account or a debit card. After doing these steps, you should save $15 on your Xfinity Internet bill each month!
Great Modems to buy:
Here are several suggestions for modems with wireless routers built in. These are easier to setup and just as good in some cases as having separate cable modem plus wireless router.
1) Motorola 8×4 Cable Modem Gateway + WiFi N450 GigE Router Power Boost, Model MG7315, 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0, Certified Comcast XFINITY
This Modem is available at Amazon for $97 which is a few bucks less than Best Buy. Easy to install and performs better than most more expensive modem/router combos like Netgear for example.
This modem has a 4 star review at Amazon and costs $95 on sale from $129. It has a sleeker look than the Motorola and comes with a 2 year warranty and technical support.
If you’re more serious about your connection and want to boost the signal and keep Download and Upload speeds consistent with what Xfinity advertises, the NETGEAR Nighthawk is for you!
Whichever modem you decide to go with, here are some simple steps you need to swap out your rental modem and save up to $120 a year!
You can get your money back within the first year and since most people, keep internet for more than 12 months, the modem will pay for itself! Add the extra $5 you’ll save by signing up to auto pay and you’ll save nearly $200 a year!